Dear MP families and friends,
Our planning efforts are underway to enable the resumption of programs and operations on our physical location (center) starting 6/15. We are working in accordance with plans established by SCC Department of Health, which are in the process of allowing education centers to open 6/5 with maximum of 12 students per classroom.
Our intention is to bring as many of our students to our classrooms as possible by 6/15 in a way that is fully consistent with upholding public health and following the guidelines established by federal, state, and local authorities. On 6/15, we will resume research activities and other lessons that must be conducted in person to support research or education.
Class schedule and summer plans
I have already met with many parents and students regarding their summer schedule and plans. If you have not done so yet, please contact me ASAP at email@example.com to schedule a meeting or phone conversation. For those on “full-service” programs, please update your schedule on Google sheet ASAP and contact me immediately to schedule a meeting. For those on test prep only, look at the summer test prep schedule (link provided below) and submit your registration form by 6/13 to firstname.lastname@example.org. For those students on college essay prep or college counseling only, please contact me ASAP to schedule your meetings and sessions.
Summer SAT/ACT schedule and sign-up sheet: https://megaprep.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020-summer-1-to-1-covid.pdf
Reopening updates: https://megaprep.net/5404-2/
Preparations and Expectations for Those in our physical location
Our approach to resuming classroom sessions will be aligned with the guidelines mandated by local and federal authorities, limiting the density of people in classrooms in order to inhibit the spread of disease. In keeping with the fundamental need to ensure safety, any work that can be done remotely should continue to be conducted remotely.
- Universal face coverings:Everyone is expected to wear a face covering over the nose and the mouth at all times while in the center and other areas when others are present.
- Social distancing: Limiting contact among people in the center is critical. You should remain at least 6 feet away from others. When walking in corridors and entries where you must pass someone close than 6 feet away, move with purpose. We have begun to post signs to facilitate social distancing, including specifying the number of people allowed in a particular area at one time.
- Self-monitoring:Anyone coming to the center is expected to self-monitor for symptoms and stay home if you have potentially been exposed to COVID-19 or have had any symptoms over the past 24 hours, including: cough, runny or stuffy nose, shortness of breath, fever, difficulty breathing, chills, body aches, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Anyone with symptoms should consult their healthcare provider and inform their supervisor. .
- COVID-19 Reporting:Individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 should not come to the center for at least 15 days AND must be symptom-free for an additional 72 hours before returning to the center.
- Travel: We will continue to restrict physical access to our center by those who have traveled internationally and domestically until further notice. The S. State Department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are continuing to advise avoiding all nonessential international travel due to widespread ongoing transmission.
These measures will help us achieve our goal of providing a safe environment for our entire community. Please remember that we are still in a dynamic COVID-19 environment. These policies pertain to the early stages of returning to our center and could change as the situation evolves.
Thank you and please stay safe,
Mega College Prep
Official reopening date: 6/15/2020
Updated 5/15/2020. By the order of the Health Officer of the country of Santa Clara issued on April 29, 2020, we will be opening for college counseling and meetings on May 18, 2o2o. The face-to-face meetings are by appointment only. Starting 6/15/2020, we will officially open for all classes. Our hours will be 2-7PM during weekdays and 9-4PM on Saturdays. Remote learning will continue to be provided for those students and teachers who wish to stay home for health related issues. If you have not done so already, please call (408) 637-9458 to schedule your classes and meetings. Please email email@example.com if you have any question.
04/17/2020 Reopening dates and precautions
When all onsite classes, counseling, and registration resume on 6/15/2020, as our physical location is 3850 square feet, we will allow maximum of 15 students and 17 staff members to occupy the space at the same time, giving each person more than 120 square feet of space. No more than 2 people (one student and one parent) will be allowed to come in for registration and counseling.
Wearing a face mask will be mandatory for all teachers, students, parents, and visitors until further notice.
People who have visited countries or states outside California will not be permitted to enter our physical premise until after 3 weeks from the return date.
New registration and counseling: By appointment only
Current students: Email or call the center to reserve your classes.
Online classes have already begun as scheduled for AP test prep, essays, college counseling, research projects, competition prep, and academic subject tutoring. These services will be offered completely via emails (college counseling) and online video services for lessons.
The “shelter in place” is in effect until 5/3. We are planning to open onsite lessons on 5/16 if no further delay is announced by the Santa Clara health officials.The date is set later than the suggested “lifting date” to ensure safety of everyone and to prevent spreading due to hasty reopening. Before the reopening, guidelines to follow on our physical premises will be announced.
Stay-at-Home Order and Reopening
On 4/14, California governor Gavin Newsom outlined “Six Critical Indicators the State will Consider Before Modifying the Stay-at-Home Order and Other COVID-19 Interventions“. We intend to strictly adhere to the guidelines when they become official and ask your cooperation once our premises are open for onsite lessons and counseling.
04/05/2020 “OnLine Classes” Update
Starting 4/7/2020, we will be offering multiple new online services ranging from college counseling to college essay corrections. These services will be offered completely via emails and online video services. Please check back for more information and available classes.
04/01/2020 “Shelter in place” Update
On 3/31/2020 the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara has issued an updated order on “shelter in place.” Pursuant to the California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.; Cal. Penal Code §§ 69, 148(a)(1); Santa Clara County Ordinance Code § A1-28, our physical locations will be closed until 5/3/2020 11:59PM. Until such time, all online classes will be provided. If it is extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing by the Health Officer, we will post our updates here.
3/17/2020 “Shelter in place” Update
We will be adhering to the Santa Clara “Shelter in Place Declaration” requiring all non-essential businesses to close until at least April 7th, 2020. As of today, March 17, we are temporarily closing the property and will be providing the online classes for college essays, college counseling, academic study, research, and projects. We will reopen Wednesday, April 8th.
SAT, SAT II, ACT Test Prep
As 5/2/2020 SAT and 3/28/2020 makeup exam for SAT have been cancelled, we will resume SAT and ACT prep classes (1:1 only) in April for the 6/6/2020 SAT and 6/13/2020 ACT exams. Please keep in mind that such dates are tentative.
3/15/2020 “Gathering Guidance” Update
On March 7, 2020 California Department of Public Health released School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 (View PDF) and Gathering Guidance (View PDF), and on March 13, 2020, President Trump declared that the coronavirus pandemic is a national emergency.
Summer classes for 2020
- All group classes have been cancelled with a full refund.
- 1:1 private and semiprivate classes will continue for the following classes: summer research and competition preparation, study ahead for next year school subjects, test preparations, and college application essays and counseling (see Preventive Measures section below).
- Online summer classes may become available in coming days for test preparations, college counseling, and college application essays. Please check our website regularly.
“Full-Service College Counseling” students
- 1:1 private tutoring will continue for test preparations (SAT, ACT, AP, SAT II, school subjects) and for research, projects, and competitions related to chemistry, biomedical engineering, physics, biology, mechanical engineering, and computer science.
- The central study room is 750 square feet. We will allow maximum of four students to occupy the room at the same time, one student per each corner of the room. The doors will be left open for air circulation. Please do not close the doors.
The class of 2024 (last year students)
For the students who applied to colleges in 2019, all post acceptance 1:1 counseling will start in April as previously scheduled. Please call to make an appointment.
- Any traveler who has returned or will return from a foreign country or states outside California will not be allowed to attend school for 14 days after their return date.
Students, staff, and visitors
- Anyone who shows fever and/or respiratory infection symptoms will be sent home immediately.
- Anyone returning to or entering our facility must use the hand sanitizer located at the front desk area.
- All test prep materials (including practice tests and answers) and school subject related materials will be made available outside the classrooms for use by one student at a time.
- All three doors (including the A207 emergency door) will remain open to maximize air circulation.
- Hand sanitizers at the reception area.
- A liquid soap in the washroom.
- Free bottled water available in the refrigerators.
Online classes during summer and beyond
In the event that California Department of Public Health’s Gathering Guidance restricts all types of gathering even for venues that do allow social distancing of six feet per person (Site link), we will move almost all, if not all, our lectures, counseling, and classes online. Please check back or call for more information.
As the uncertainty pervades all corners of our lives, it has been trying and difficult days for all of us. Our collective goals have been and will be to protect the health and safety of our students, families, friends, and staff. To preserve our distinctive environment for education, research, and impact, we promise to take all reasonable steps.
We wish you the best in all your endeavors and thank you for your continuing support.
Mega Prep teachers and counselors